Wednesday, January 23, 2008

23 Things Epiblogue

I can't believe I'm finished! After I ignored my blog basically the month of December, it was so difficult to start again after Christmas break. I started by working on Thing 9 which seemed to take forever. I was discouraged. The end looked very distant. I am so happy I've both seen the light at the end of the tunnel and passed through it! My technology skills have never been superior but I definitely feel more confident after the 23 Things. I know the inquiry method of learning is essential because you really do learn by doing. If I were sitting in a class looking at an outline of the 23 Things via powerpoint, I really wouldn't be learning much at all. I recall "fondly" the hours on the computer at home trying to post or embed! Now that it's over! But is it? I don't think so.

I know this is only the beginning and if our library is going to be modern and vital and attract students, we are going to have to start using this new (to me) technology. In looking back over the 23 Things, there were quite a few I think I will continue to use because of its usefulness in the library or because it's just plain fun. Edublogs, flickr, Google Reader, Image Chef, Custom Sign Generator, Comic Strip Generator, LibraryThing, Facebook, Del.icio.us, wikis, Zoho, youtube, podcasting, and Animoto were my favorites!

I really want to continue using these applications because I know from experience if I don't continue using what I've learned in a workshop or course all that knowledge will atrophy over time. The I-pod Nano (red, please) has been a great incentive and I appreciate all the effort and time it takes to coordinate and maintain an online course like this. I really hope I do not waste your and my effort. I really do want to begin using these new technologies and that is my intent. What is the old saying? "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." It may be baby steps but I'm pretty pleased with my progress.

5 comments:

Sandy E. said...

Congratulations. Red is the color. I know what you mean about keeping on using these skills. I've probably forgotten some of the ones I learned ast the beginning or our journey. Keep up the good work!

learninglou said...

You really did get busy and finish, but I guess when we have to do it, we can. You probably will remember more of the information since you had done it so quickly and recently. Good job.

Debbie said...

Great job! I love your coined term "epiblogue". You're so clever.

CoolLibrarian said...

I hope that we all will continue to learn, share, and grow in the area of technology. The community of learners that we have built is great. Good work!

Ms. Mc.'s Message said...

I have been in the same boat as far ignoring & coming back to a big feeling of discouragement. I kept on going & i am making it right at the deadline! (look at the time stamp) your thoughts about keeping the library modern & vital are so true. We have keep our skills up. It has been interesting to talk to people about this & they just look at you kind of funny & say "What are you talking about?" I feel very accomplished in the area of technology.