Monday, January 21, 2008

Thing 20

I just lost my original post! I tried embedding a video at the beginning of the post and I guess that didn't work! I tried to copy the text of my original post but I could never do it! Waa haa!
Well....let me start again! I've used youtube.com for quite a while. I'm ashamed to say that I think my first foray into youtube involved my looking for the music video of the first Ghostbusters movie. (please do not judge me but I just think "Who you gonna call?" is a very catchy phrase!) By the time the Diet Coke and Mentos videos were posted, you couldn't keep me away. Also, my niece Kaitlin is on two different videos although you can only see the back or side of her as she directs her Alpha Kai Omega club at Sing Song 2007. I've watched those a time or two.
I think youtube is a lot of fun but if you're lucky, you'll find some videos that are appropriate to use in education. I shared a hilarious student-produced video about Lab Safety with our science department. Some liked it and some just probably thought I was weird but it was a great video. This summer as I worked at MHS, I talked to the Biology curriculum writing team and they asked me about the copyright issues with youtube. In talking to mmw, I decided to email the producer of the video and he gladly gave Mesquite ISD permission to use it. It's titled Biological Magnification and I'm hoping to eventually embed it on my blog. It's very well produced and explains biomagnification better than I ever could! I think students will relate to a video and the video is more interesting that I am.
That brings me to think it would be fun to embed videos on our website. They could be related to the library, literature, or just plain fun. There's sure to be a lot on youtube we can use but maybe one day we can produce our own.

2 comments:

sharonh said...

Great idea to find videos clips for teachers. It's true that students relate more to video.

Sandy E. said...

Great idea of finding clips for teachers. And I know there is one out there with MISD people, but I haven't been able to find it.