Monday, January 21, 2008

Thing 18

I looked at Craigslist because I've been interested in it before but once I saw a registration fee was involved, I backed off. I appreciated being able to finally see Craigslist. It ws fun looking at all the goods and services offered. I'm looking for a French Country dining set and enjoyed looking for possibilities but found nothing I liked. I looked at the listings for home repair because I always need things fixed around my house. The only problem with a Dallas-Ft. Worth "edition" of anything is that it's a mighty large area to cover. I did appreciate when people narrowed their location so I'd know if someone was closer to the Garland-Mesquite area. I'm still a little wary of choosing a repair person off the internet. Although, for many years I guess the Yellow Pages was the definitive source for repairmen and Craigslist is just another type of Yellow Pages. I looked at books for sale but didn't find anything I had to had. I looked at the Forums and just had to investigate the Haiku forum. I read some really wretched haiku but it did follow the 5-7-5 syllable format!
The useful features is that it is packed with information. You can buy all kinds of goods and there are many jobs and services advertised. There's all kinds of forums and personal opportunities to meet others. Unlike ebay where you might end up paying more than you wanted if you get caught up in the bidding war, the costs in Craigslist are listed.
What I didn't like about Craigslist was its archaic look. It looked like something programmed by an Atari! I thought it would look more streamlined and modern. But I guess it does get lots of information loaded onto the home page, though.
Craigslist is a personal and business retail and services program. I can see absolutely no application to the library. Not for library use, anyway. In a public library, it would be helpful for patrons to be able to access it if they are willing to pay a fee.

No comments: