Thursday, January 17, 2008

Gold Hill in Shaftsbury, England


Gold Hill in Shaftsbury, England


Above is Gold Hill, said to be one of the most photographed streets in England. It is in the town of Shaftsbury located in Dorset in the southwest part of the country known as Hardy Country. Thomas Hardy based his novels in this part of England he called Wessex. I have this particular photograph on my wall at home. I've taken this exact photo except the lighting was different. I remember the early morning sun was very bright.

Imagine my surprise when I picked up the book In a Dry Season by one of my favorite British mystery authors Peter Robinson. Note its cover:

In a Dry Season

The angle's a bit different but this picture is definitely Gold Hill. Ironically these pictures refer to a village that was flooded and was permanently covered by water. Gold Hill is, as you would imagine, on a high point in Shaftsbury and unlikely to be flooded any time soon.

This post was created using the word processing application from Zoho Writer.

3 comments:

speedreader said...

I love the idea of students creating a document at school then being able to access and work on it from home. That eliminates a number of excuses and the concern about bringing a virus from one computer to another. Great idea!

Sandy E. said...

Great picture. It's really wonderful to read a book set in a place that I've visited. It really makes it come alive for me. So I guess all our travel is really paying off in reading dividends.

library gal said...

I will be honest. I am finishing this a little late and I was wondering why I would want to use Zoho writer. All I could come up with off the top of my head was that I wanted to put bullets in an earlier blog entry and didn't know how. Looking at your entries has really inspired me and helped me to see some of the possibilities of how to use these tools.