Monday, January 21, 2008

Thing 19

I often used what I called "flow charts" to present notes to both my Biology and Anatomy & Physiology students. I like graphic organizers even if the ones I produced were pretty crude versions of a flow chart using Microsoft Word. I have had experience with Inspiration. However, as a biology teacher, my notes were always so extensive (especially in Anatomy) that I never could figure out how to use Inspiration to organize them. I've enjoyed looking at these programs although I've given up on getting a return email to verify my existence with both bubbl.us and and Flowchart.com. I tinkered with both Mindmeister and Gliffy. When I used Inspiration in the past, I liked that is a very easy program to learn to use. But with these web versions, I like that I can share and collaborate online. I liked that you could do various tasks with Gliffy and started to play around with a floor plan. However, I could never get the door to rotate properly and did give up. I played around with a flowchart but didn't get very far with it. I may have given up too soon but I went on to check out Mindmeister. I actually found that version of a mind map easy to use. It wasn't perfect because I had an idea "line" separate into 2 lines and was unable to correct it! However, I titled my mind map "Things to Do on Spring Break in 2008" and had 3 main ideas: London, Paris, and Amsterdam. I then added 3 or 4 ideas of things to do in each city. So that was fun. And while I'm sitting here at my computer on a dreary day it's uplifting to think about the fun I'm going to have on Spring Break!
As a librarian, I'm not sure I would use either of these programs. But I can see how we could use a flow chart to map out the duties of the Student Librarian Assistants. We could also use flow charts to outline library procedures. When I receive the emails from flowchart.com and bubbl.us, I'll go back and take a look at those.

1 comment:

sharonh said...

London, Paris and Amsterdam!! I'd love to see the flow map of fun things to do and places to visit. Hope you have fun!